How to Write A Clever, Memorable Blog Tagline (+ 25 Examples)
Blog taglines are a fantastic way to let readers know what your blog is all about.
They act as short and snappy one-liners that feature what, why, and who you’re serving – while helping you stand out from the crowd.
Just think about your favorite brands using taglines:
- Nike: Just do it
- Apple: Think Different
- McDonald’s: I’m Lovin It
It’s short, to the point, and memorable.
In this post, we’ll share our step-by-step process of creating taglines that stick in your customers’ minds. Plus, we’ll also share some of the best examples, so you can get inspired and create a blog tagline that makes an impact.
Let’s get started!
What Is a Blog Tagline?
Your blog’s tagline is a short summary of your blog in a search results page.
It should summarize what your blog is about, who it is for, and showcase your personality and identity. You can see a great example of a blog tagline used by Authority Hackers in the image below:
A great tagline is memorable and unique, making a brand recognizable and different.
Tagline vs. Slogan: Are They The Same?
Well, not really…
Although these two terms are often used interchangeably, slogans and taglines are two different things – with a clear distinction between them.
- A tagline represents a brand and all of its offerings.
- A slogan is specific to a product, use case, category, or a unique customer segment.
In other words, taglines represent a brand, while slogans represent a product.
Why Blog Taglines Matter
Blog taglines matter for three main reasons:
- They set the first impression
- They communicate purpose and value
- They showcase brand identity and differentiation
Taglines are usually the first thing visitors see when they land on your blog (or even just see it in the search results pages).
If you do the right job with a tagline, it sets the tone for what your blog offers and what readers should expect.
This can create a long-lasting first impression – and keep readers coming back for more!
Communicate Purpose and Value
Taglines convey the essence of your blog, which includes:
- The blog’s mission
- The value it offers to readers
If you nail your tagline, it should summarize your blog’s core message in a few words.
Brand Identity and Differentiation
A well-crafted tagline establishes a blog’s brand identity.
This is vital since it helps to distinguish your blog from others in the same niche – showing readers why they should choose you over competitors.
How To Write A Good Tagline for Your Blog
Now you know how important the tagline is – and that you should definitely create one, it’s time to think about the “how”.
If you haven’t created one yet, we’ll be sharing our bulletproof step-by-step process for creating memorable taglines that make for the perfect first impression.
Understand Your Blog’s Identity
The more you understand your identity, the better your tagline will be. That’s why you should be clear on these three aspects of your blog:
- Identity. The unique voice and personality that define a blog’s character and purpose.
- Mission. The overarching goal or purpose driving a blog’s content and engagement with its audience.
- Target audience. The specific group or demographic a blog aims to reach and engage with.
For instance, let’s consider an affiliate marketing blog promoting running shoes. For this blog, these three aspects could look like this.
- Identity. “Empowering runners with in-depth insights and reviews on top-notch men’s running shoes to maximize performance and comfort.”
- Mission. “To guide men passionate about running towards the perfect shoe fit, offering expert advice, and honest reviews to enhance running experience.”
- Target audience. “Male runners of all levels, from beginners to seasoned athletes, seeking superior comfort and performance in their running shoes.”
If you were to create a tagline for this blog, it would be along the lines of “Unveiling the Best Men’s Running Shoes for Every Stride” or “Where Performance Meets Comfort in Every Step”.
Keep It Clear and Concise
Don’t overwhelm your readers with long, difficult to read taglines. That’s not what taglines are about!
Instead, focus on clarity – a good tagline communicates the essence of a blog instantly.
Highlight Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
Your unique selling proposition is what sets you apart from competitors.
It’s like saying to readers, “This is what we do best and why should you read our posts.”
So, make sure to include it in your tagline!
You can see a great example of including a USP in a blog tagline with the Moz blog:
“The industry’s top wizards, doctors, and other experts offer their best advice, research, how-tos, and insights – all in the name of helping you level-up your SEO and online marketing skills.”
The USP is evident from reading the blog’s tagline – Moz positions itself as a hub of knowledge and expertise. This highlights the authority behind the content, emphasizing the quality and depth offered to help enhance SEO skills.
Leverage Simplicity With Impact
You should find a balance between simplicity and impact with your tagline.
It’s all about using powerful words and phrases that stick in the reader’s mind, while keeping it simple enough to stay memorable. To assist you with that, we recommend checking the 500+ power words…
Test And Iterate
The chances are, your tagline won’t be perfect the first time round.
That’s why it’s essential to test and refine it, and find the one that resonates with your target audience. When testing your tagline, you have a couple of options:
- You gather feedback from peers and target audience.
- You use A/B split testing with your readers.
We definitely recommend choosing split testing whenever you can.
This is a process where you divide your audience into two groups and show each group a different variation of your tagline – and use data to see which one makes a bigger impact.
Source: Active Campaign
But, of course, you have to have a big sample for split testing (ideally at least 1k users).
If you don’t, you should go with the first option.
Don’t Be Afraid to Use Chat-GPT for Help
Feeling a lack of creative sparks?
Or maybe you just don’t want to brainstorm your tagline and instead, choose from countless potential taglines generated by AI.
Either way, Chat-GPT is your friend!
To generate taglines, we recommend telling Chat-GPT who your target audience is, your mission, your value, and your blog name.
You can see an example of that below:
Now all you have to do is to hit “Enter” and you’ll get tons of blog tagline ideas generated.
Don’t like the ideas you got so far?
You can either ask for more or provide more details about how you want them to be.
It’s really that simple.
In our opinion, it’s one of the fastest ways to create a blog tagline. The only problem is that AI can’t add a human touch into your taglines – so you should definitely edit the tagline with the steps we’ve provided above.
Best Blog Tagline Examples
Still not sure what a proper blog tagline looks like?
Here are some of our favorite blog tagline examples from the most popular blogs in different niches – so you can get inspired and create an awesome tagline, too!
- TechCrunch: “The latest technology news and information on startups”
- The Verge: “Tech, science, art, and culture”
- Gizmodo: “We come from the future”
- HuffPost: “Breaking news, entertainment, and lifestyle”
- BuzzFeed: “The stories and quizzes dominating the internet”
- ESPN: “The worldwide leader in sports”
- Bleacher Report: “Get the latest sports news, rankings, and predictions”
- Pitchfork: “The most trusted voice in music”
- Food52: “Eat thoughtfully, live joyfully”
- Serious Eats: “The destination for delicious”
- Fashionista: “Fashion industry news, trends, and analysis”
- The Sartorialist: “Visual inspiration from around the globe”
- Travel + Leisure: “Your daily travel inspiration”
- Nomadic Matt: “Travel better, cheaper, longer”
- The Points Guy: “Maximize your travel”
- The Pioneer Woman: “Plowing through life in the country… one calf nut at a time”
- Smitten Kitchen: “Fearless cooking from a tiny kitchen in New York City”
- A Cup of Jo: “Style, culture, motherhood, travel, food & life”
- Gardenista: “Sourcebook for cultivated living”
- The Daily WTF: “Curious Perversions in Information Technology”
- Lifehack: “Tips for life”
- Tiny House Blog: “Living simply in small spaces”
- The Simple Dollar: “Save money, live well”
- The Art of Manliness: “Men’s interests and lifestyle”
- Psychology Today: “Health, help, happiness + find a therapist”
All of these blog taglines have several things in common:
- Clarity. Each tagline clearly communicates the focus or theme of the blog.
- Value proposition. They highlight what readers can expect to find on the blog – whether it’s news, advice, inspiration, or insights in their respective niches.
- Specificity. Many taglines target a particular audience or niche, ensuring they resonate with those interested in that specific content.
- Conciseness. They are brief and to the point, conveying the essence of the blog’s purpose succinctly.
- Promise of benefit. Most taglines suggest a benefit or value to the reader, indicating what they’ll gain by engaging with the content, whether it’s knowledge, inspiration, savings, or entertainment.
- Relevance. They closely align with the content or service offered by the blog, ensuring that the tagline accurately represents what readers can expect to find within.
Make sure to structure your blog taglines this way too!
Conclusion – Create a Winning Tagline And Stand Out
Taglines are a fantastic way to create a lasting first impression and showcase your value and unique selling proposition.
To learn more tips and tricks, see what others are reading right now:
- From Hobby to Hustle: How to Turn a Blog Into a Thriving Business
- How To Write A Good Product Review That Sells
- The 21 Best Affiliate Marketing Tools & How to Use Them: Our Bulletproof Approach
Looking for a way to generate more revenue and maximize profits?
That’s precisely what AAWP can help you with.
AAWP is our WP plugin designed specifically to help Amazon affiliates make the most of their affiliate journey – and maximize commissions. We offer a ton of handy tools and features that will help you customize your affiliate ads for the best results.
You can create Bestsellers, New Releases, Product boxes, and so much more.
These features will allow you to not only get the attention of potential customers but also separate you from other affiliate marketers.Get started with AAWP today and create a winning affiliate website right now.
Earn More Money with Amazon Affiliate Marketing 🤑
Start now with AAWP!
AAWP is the #1 WordPress plugin for Amazon affiliates who are serious about earning more. Get started today!